In 1749, the churchyard was extended westwards. In 1750 the spire of St Nicholas Church was built at a cost £310. In 1759 a French ship menaced Liverpool, causing the people of the town to build a battery next to St Nicholas Church. The Battery was equipped with 14 18-pounder cannon, however, as the town grew, it was felt that the battery in St. Nicholas's Churchyard was no longer adequate for defence against privateers or other armed vessels. Until 1767, when Georges Dock was built where the Liver Building now stands, the River Mersey reached the church garden walls at high tide.

Image details: WG Herdman