Built on the site of the old castle, the church was not fully finished until 1734 although building had started some eight years previously. The architect was Thomas Steers. In the foreground is the area used as a market-place. The octagonal building on the west side was used as an office by the Clerk of the Markets and the one on the east side as a bridewell. Considered unsafe because of land settlement, the steeple was taken down in 1809. In 1819 the church and tower were reconstructed in what was considered to be an inferior style. The church was demolished in 1899.
Image details: WG Herdman