In this image, residents and sailors battle in vain to salvage a ship being driven towards the tower by a raging storm. The Tower was used by the Stanleys as a residence and for entertaining. It remained in their possession until 1651 when the 7th Earl of Derby was required to forfeit all his English estates. It was regained in 1665. When St. Mary del Quay ceased to be used as a chapel in 1548, St. Nicholas' Chapel became the town's only place of worship. By this time there were four chantries in the chapel of St. Nicholas; their lands had been worth £21 11s. 3d, paying in chief rents to the king 10s. 3d.The lands of two of these chantries—those of the High Altar and of St. John—were sold, though the priests attached to them seem to have remained resident in the town. Among the purchasers were many of the burgesses of Liverpool, who were thus to some extent committed to support of the Reformation. The lands of the chantries of St. Nicholas and St. Katherine remained in the hands of the Crown, and in 1565 Queen Elizabeth gave to the minister of St Nicholas's £4 17s 5d yearly and to the schoolmaster, originally provided for from 1515 by the Rev. John Crosse 'to keep a grammar school and take his advantage from all the children except those whose names be Crosse, and poor children who have no succour', £5 13s.3d out of the chantry rents. In 1699, the Chapel of St. Nicholas was designated a church when Liverpool was made a separate parish.