Part of George's Dock Basin is in the foreground; the dome of the Town Hall is in the background on the right of the picture. Richard de Liverpool was the first recorded mayor of Liverpool in 1351. As mayor he received, and probably took a large part in obtaining, the writ for the erection of the chapel of St. Nicholas in 1356. Thus, the burgesses obtained Royal Licence to purchase £10 worth of land from the Duke of Lancaster to endow their new chapel of St Nicholas, the patron saint of mariners. Before 1400 the church had acquired three chantries. In 1515 John Crosse, vicar of St Nicholas of the Shambles, London founded a fourth chantry.
Image details: Engraved by H Jordan from a drawing by G & C Pyne