It is difficult to realise the difference in appearance produced by the encroachments on the river to provide dock space. Here a level terrace of 300 yards in breadth has been interposed between the old shore line and the landing stage; and instead of a sandy beach a massive upright wall confronts the visitor. The encroachment was first made in order to provide a new dock, the George’s dock, opened in 1771 and , the name of course being a compliment to George III. The dock was soon the centre of the African trade. Enlarged in 1825, but by the end of the 19th century it had become useless and was closed.
Image details: Engraved by H Meyer