The Angel Inn, Dale street, one of the oldest of that description in the town, was taken down in 1832. About 1856 the bridewell and Sessions House were removed to Dale Street. Long before the time of this picture, the Hearth Tax list of 1663 shows that Dale Street contained 63 tenements, with a total of 144 hearths rated to the tax. Six of the houses had to pay for five hearths apiece, showing that they were of considerable size. Some, perhaps, were inns, which naturally were established along the chief outlet. If the figures be compared with those for Water Street, it will be seen that the latter had a superior class of residents, for its 51 houses had 144 hearths for the tax, showing that the average size was greater than that of the Dale Street houses.