St James's Cemetery, at the top of Duke Street, was opened in 1829. It was a considerable advance on the management and layout of previous burial grounds. Upwards of 100 catacombs, entered by doorways 7 feet high and 4 feet 6 inches wide, were constructed in the rock at the sides of the roads. Huskisson's burial place and memorial can be seen in the central distance.