This was one of the original narrow streets of the town. The last of the town's timber-framed houses, Church Stile House, stood on the site of the low white building - in the centre of the picture - at the corner of St Nicholas's Churchyard. When Prince's Dock was opened in 1821, the street was widened and warehouses built on the sites of the demolished buildings. these were later replaced with blocks of offices such as Hargreaves Building, erected in 1861, in this view.

Image details: Wm Herdman