The Custom House is the building surmounted by a flagpole; it has a flight of steps leading up to an entrance of semi-circular arches supported by pillars. Situated on the east side of the Old Dock, this was Liverpool's fourth Custom House. It was built c. 1710 and demolished in 1838. St Thomas's Church spire is seen behind a group of buildings which were standing up to the middle of the 19th century.
Image details: WG Herdman