The castle had a protective moat or ditch which roughly followed a line of what were later Derby Square to the north, Redcross Street to South Castle Street to the south, St George's Crescent  to the east and Preeson's Row to the west. The Queen Victoria Memorial now stands almost in the centre of the land formerly occupied by the Castle. The main entrance faced towards Harrington Street. On its eastern side was the castle orchard through which a footpath (later Lord Street) led to the ferry over the Pool (near the present junction of Lord Street and Church Street). In 1704, when the Castle was in a very dilapidated state, powers were obtained to demolish it altogether. This was carried out between 1709 and 1720, the last piece of the outer wall disappearing in 1725.

Image details: WG Herdman