The site for this building was originally part of a Botanic Garden, which had been established in 1800. The Orphan School for girls, occupying the east wing of the building, was opened in 1854. The west wing, for boys, was opened in 1854.The Church of the Holy Innocents, in the centre, was opened at the same time. A school for infants was added later.
Image details: Wm Herdman