The Stanley Dock, opened in 1848, connects with the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. It is the only dock on the landward side of the road which runs parallel to the line of docks flanking the river. This view, showing the junction with the Salisbury and Collingwood Docks and bridge over the gut, well illustrates Jesse Hartley's effective use of granite in the construction of the dock system.

Image details: Wm Herdman