Under the name of Bank Street, Water Street, seen here leading down to the river, is mentioned in the earliest deeds relating to lands in the town. The change to Watergate or Water Street took place about 1600. The Hearth Tax roll of 1663 shows that there were then 51 houses in it liable to pay tax, the total number of hearths being 144, a high average, which points to it being a leading street. By far the most important house in it was the Tower, near the waterfront and close to the Chapel of St Nicholas. The site was probably part of the Lathom inheritance acquired by Sir John Stanley by marriage. Liverpool Castle is on the extreme right.

Image details: From an original watercolour by Hugh Magenis after the contemporary painting by a Dutch artist