George's Dock was opened in 1771, designed and built by Henry Berry and expanded by John Foster Sr. The dock ran from George's basin in the north to Canning dock in the south. The dock and George's basin were filled in during 1899 to create the current Pier Head, to provide a location for the dock board offices.

Image details: E Beattie"