In 1753, the port's second dock, the South Dock (later named the Salthouse Dock) was completed. By this time there were 347 ships belonging to the port. 106 were engaged in the West India and North American trades, 88 in the African trade, 28 in trade with Europe, and 125 in the Irish and coastal trade. Additionally there were some 80 river craft mainly employed in the carrying of coal and salt. After the completion of the Salthouse Dock, four more docks were added before the end of the century. The provision of adequate warehousing also kept pace with the growing volume of trade through the port.
Image details: John Glynn