Now a Grade II listed park based upon a design by Joseph Paxton and James Pennethorne, Princes Park was opened in 1842. The plans, drawn up by John Robertson, created a popular style which included a carriage drive and a sculptured lake that was picked up by Victorian designers elsewhere. Most notably it was followed by Paxton himself when designing the world famous Birkenhead Park. The original entrance gates to Princes Park, which began life as a private development by Richard Vaughan Yates, remain in place to this day. An obelisk dedicated to this philanthropist was erected in the park by public prescription in 1858.
Image details: John Glynn