Mann Island and Nova Scotia, viewed from the south-east corner of the old George's Dock. The property was purchased by the Dock Board in 1851. Mann Island was previously known as Mersey Island, but it was actuallly man-made, sitting between the various docks at the Pier Head. Despite ceasing to be an island following the filling in of George's Dock, it retained it's name, derived from an oil-stone dealer John Mann, who died in 1784.

Image details: Wm Herdman