The view as it was supposed to be in 1689 and depicts the arrival of the army of William III. Although in a state of disrepair, the castle was still serviceable for troops. On the far side of the bridge, houses and cottages were built up to the ditch. The houses on the right hand side near the bridge were at the south west corner of Castle Street and were not all removed until 1792. By 1721, the castle was largely demolished and the ditch filled up.
Image details: WG Herdman