This drawing shows some of the town's oldest houses which were not demolished until July 1839, when warehouses were built on the site. According to 'Brownbill', this was the first street opened to the west of the castle, leading down to the river. It was formed on land called Castlestreet Field, c. 1664 by Edward Moore and was kept by him as a strictly private thoroughfare, closed with posts and chains at each end.

Image details: WG Herdman