The Royal Amphitheatre, Great Charlotte Street. Built in 1825 and opened in January 1826, the theatre had accommodation for some 3,000/4,000 spectators. It was 135 feet long and 76 feet wide. It was lit by gas chandeliers and there was extensive stabling for a large stud of horses. It was demolished when the Royal Court Theatre was built.
Image details: Engraved by Rogers from a drawing by Harwood