Below the Beacon at Everton (top left hand side of the picture) is the fort on the river bank on the north side of the lower end of Chapel Street. Next, on the opposite corner, is a public house in the walled churchyard of Our Lady and St Nicholas; beyond are buildings in Old Hall Street. Nearly in the centre of the picture is the Tower at the lower end of Water Street, with Liverpool's second Town Hall / Exchange at its other end on the right. The Custom House of the time is opposite the Tower; the Castle is on the extreme right hand side. (Herdman put the date 1650 to this drawing, but as the Town Hall is included, the date could not be before 1673).

Image details: WG Herdman