Until widening was completed in 1829, Lord Street was considered to be a very inconvenient thoroughfare. New houses in brick were built on the south side of the street and the shops were spacious and elegant. By the early 20th century, Lord Street was a bustling centre for shopping and commerce and contained a range of elegant buildings. Trams provided frequent and popular public transport to the heart of the area.
Image details: John Glynn