A view from the east end of Cable Street; the shop premises on the right hand side are on the corner of Cable Street and Paradise Street. Cable Street, as its name suggests, was originally a rope making centre, having been recorded as such in 1701. Paradise Street was originally known as Common Shore, due to the fact that it followed the path of the Old Pool. The dock engineer, Thomas Steers had the road renamed Paradise Street in 1710 as a reminder of a street of the same name where he formerly lived in Rotherhithe, Kent.
Image details: Engraved by J Smith from a drawing by G & C Pyne