Opened in 1825, this general cemetery was created with a view to counter-balancing the evils associated with the overcrowded churchyards in the densely populated areas of town. The cemetery was surrounded by a high wall and watchmen were employed at night. Ministers of diferent sects could officiate and, if required, the dead could be buried without any religious service at all.

Image details: Engraved by R Wallis from a drawing by T Allom