Described by Richard Blome, who visited Liverpool in 1673, just before the Hall was opened, as a 'famous Town House, placed on pillars and arches of hewen stone; and underneath is the publick exchange for merchants.' This was Liverpool's second Town Hall; it was erected on the site of the High Cross. After the collapse of some of its pillars and arches c.1740, the building was declared to be unsafe and the foundation stone of a new Town Hall was laid in 1749. It was taken down in 1755. Little is known of Liverpool's first Town Hall other than the fact it was a small thatched house on the east side of Juggler Street, later renamed High Street.
Image details: WG Herdman