In this view of the Tower, plain coping stones are supported by corbels. In earlier drawings they are shown crenellated. The windows also appear to have undergone many alterations over the years. In 1406, Sir John Stanley had been given permission to embattle his stone built house, the Tower, which stood at the lower end of Water Street by the river. With smaller buildings attached, the Tower occupied three sides of a courtyard and had gardens to the north and east. In 1485, the Stanleys became the Earls of Derby. Forfeited for treason in 1649, used as a prison, and then sold, the Tower was recovered by the 8th Earl of Derby by 1665. It was subsequently used again as a prison, leased and eventually bought by the Corporation and used for assemblies and entertainments. It was not until 1819 that the Tower was demolished with the widening of Water Street.
Image details: WG Herdman