Designed by Liverpool Corporation’s surveyor John Foster and opened in 1829, these baths were 239 feet long and 87 feet wide. Its collonade of cast-iron pillars were coloured to resemble stone. They replaced the first public baths built in 1756 at New Quay, which included a plunge pool fed with water from the Mersey. The Local Authority had purchased the original baths in 1794. The new baths, called St George's baths were the first publically funded baths to be constructed in the UK, but despite this, the admission fee remained beyond the means of most Liverpool workers.